Sunday, April 1, 2012

Viola pedata, Bird's foot violet (for the shape of the leaves)

I really like this plant. I had a group of them for years that were a bit more bi-colored than this one is but eventually they succumbed to something. Probably too much moisture at the wrong time of year. This violet likes dry conditions. I've seen it growing happily on decomposing rock, and on the stony edges of unpaved roads. Tough conditions. I planted this in the sandy soil of the new steps in the back garden.

I bought the plant last year from one of the vendors at the Lahr Native Plant Symposium. I stopped by the sale yesterday to look and visit. There were a lot of new vendors and the plants were wonderful but I didn't buy anything. Or take any pictures. I guess I'm just getting old!

No comments: