Thursday, November 3, 2011

Epimedium lishihchenii.....this Chinese Epimedium is one of my favorites

It's in the top two. And we must have almost 100 different epimediums in the collection. The drift of anemones in the back is nice too!

The collection notes describe finding it on a wooded slope with a rich understory. I chopped off a piece of this large clump, and Betty and Terri divided it and replanted it in an area that's clearly capable of a rich understory, and is more visible than the original clump that's buried deep in a large bed.

The plant is beautiful with huge dark green leaves. It's an "evergreen" epimedium and really is ornamental in the winter. The leaves turn a nice purpley color. It has cool large yellow flowers that I've photographed but can't locate right now. Possibly I deleted them. That'll give me something to do this spring.
Link
.

1 comment:

MulchMaid said...

Nice epimedium...that purple phase is wonderful.