Wednesday, October 19, 2011

I missed the 40th Anniversary of the Washington Youth Garden




Even Hallmark didn't have a card. I used to go over much more often when I was in Fern Valley. They've done a lot of good things since last I visited. The eight foot deer fence is nice. I see fruit trees on the inside. The flower border on the ~north side is, as always, lovely. They use good tough plants that don't need pampering. While there are a few roses still flowering nicely, the stars right now are Symphyotrichum (Aster) oblongifolius and Chrysanthemum rubellum 'Sheffield'. The Apollo program celebrated its 40th this year. The Eucalyptus (in the third photo) hasn't been in the ground 40 years, but it has survived four or five. That's impressive.

Next year I swear I'll get by every few weeks in the summer. It's a fantastic garden and a wonderful program.

No comments: