Tuesday, September 20, 2011

I think the big white one thinks he/she's in charge

It's beginning to be that time of year again when waterfowl with migratory genes begin to flock up and mill around. Snow geese winter hereabouts and a bit farther south, migrating north to the tundra to breed during that brief summer. Canada geese used to do the same, but many now forego the trip north, choosing to breed where they had previously wintered. Huge summering populations quickly become pests and degrade the environment. This Snow goose somehow attached itself to this flock of Canada geese and they sat down in the New York Avenue parking lot today. What gives? Did the flock come south mixed pushed by the premature cold. Or it this a resident flock of Canada geese that are corrupting a Snow goose, showing it how pleasant our summers are? I guess I don't watch closely but I haven't noticed any resident Snow geese. I have to pay more attention.

No comments: