Friday, August 26, 2011

Oenothera biennis along Springhouse Run


I don't remember it being there at all before and now it's, it's, it's taking over. I enjoy watching these explosions where a particular plant will suddenly dominate an area. Joan's yellow Bidens has been threatening to take over the Arboretum and now it would seem to have some competition.

The funny thing is that though I've always admired this plant, I've wavered about whether to let it into the garden here in Adelphi. I relented last year and so have a dozen or so stems flowering under the large Yucca rostrata in back. It seems like such a token gesture beside these huge stands!
Link

1 comment:

andy said...

there are a number of these growing and blooming quite well in the medians of Route 66 just west of DC in Virginia. It must have been a good year for them in the DC area.