Friday, May 6, 2011

What a gusher!

I parked downstream, actually out of sight of the hydrant; it looked like we had a leak on Korean Hill. I started to get on the radio, then noticed a bit of water running down the edge of the road. I headed up the road to find the leak and was happily surprised to see facilities testing the pressure in our new fire hydrant. They weren't thrilled with it, though it looked good to me.

One summer when I was in college I worked for a landscape company that had a contract with WSSC, out water utility. They repaired hydrant blowouts and replaced turf. It's been over 35 years and my memory isn't great but I seem to recall doing between 10 and 20 a day. Who knew there were that many defective fire hydrants? Anyway we had a number of ours, the Arboretums's, replaced this past winter; they didn't blow out. That's a blessing. And the contractor graded and seeded the area. It's looking good right now.

No comments: