Saturday, October 23, 2010

Achillea Tutti Frutti 'Pomegranate', Phygelius x rectus 'Cherry Ripe' and Aconitum carmichaelii 'Arendsii'




I found another one of those plants I fell in love with at Jimmy Turner's presentation at the Perennial Plant Conference at Swarthmore last year. Phygelius x rectus 'Cherry Ripe'. It is a spectacular plant. I have to admit I though it a fuchsia from three aisles away. It's dangerous cruising nursery after nursery. We bought Achillea Tutti Frutti 'Pomegranate' and I finally replaced Aconitum carmichaelii 'Arendsii' that was lost during a garden renovation three years ago. I'd had the Aconitum, it's fun to call it "wolfbane" this time of year, for many years. It's the closest I can come to Delphiniums here; they, the Delphiniums, can't take the heat while the Aconitum just wants more water than my sandy soil provides. I can fudge the water but am unable to cool the garden. Aconitum is poisonous in case your garden entertains browsing toddlers.

No comments: