Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Pollia japonica, a great Commelinaceous plant

I'm with Jim. I like this plant. A mass of it provides an interesting relatively tall textural effect in partial shade. The flowers aren't spectacular, but there are a lot of them and they aren't unattractive. And the berries.....the berries are spectacular. I tried to grow this from seed the last time I worked in this garden twenty years ago. I inexplicably failed. Hey it feels like a plant that could maybe under certain circumstances be overly aggressibe both by rhizome and by seed. Possibly it doesn't like sand though I seem to remember amending generously back then. And watering plenty. No matter. I don't have room for this size planting and I can see it five days a week, or more?, anyway. The older I get the less I seem to need to own plants.

2 comments:

rocky said...

it is a weed, but a nice one, especially in that planting! I happen to like Japanese Dayflower, too, but who doesn't like a little blue.

Anonymous said...

A weed is an out of place plant. I think Pollia is a very cool and unusual plant worthy of a shady area.