Friday, July 2, 2010

Asimina triloba variegata, Variegated PawPaw

Okay, I have to admit that one of the reasons we (the USNA staff) wanted to learn to graft was so that we could propagate this remarkable plant. We can't transplant it. It's dead certain that it won't come true from seed which would take years and years anyway. Nobody knows how to grow it from cuttings.....so we're going to have to graft it.

I don't remember who found it but it was moved when it was very small to a safe location in our growing area. Pawpaws are not difficult to transplant, they're impossible to transplant. They die 100% of the time so we're going to have to graft it, not only to reproduce it, but so we can get it planted out someplace where people can see it. Who knows? Maybe Joan will want a specimen for the shady cultivar garden.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

that might be the one i found in bonsai.. outside the museum (outside the back of the japanese pav. where the larger paw paws are. bonsai..remember stefan spraying something on the leaves to slow transpiration... i had been weeding, and ripped it partially out before realizing what i'd pulled . carole said at the time is should be called papa naka, after john naka - christy hilberg

Anonymous said...

sorry, meant outside of north american pavillion... peatesst

ChrisU said...

Hey Christy! I guess I should have know that at least the part about you finding it. If, er when, we propagate it and release it I'll remind Carole about the name! Chris

Anonymous said...

I'm always searching for variegated plants, a variegated pawpaw I've been waiting for for years. It sounds like I'll have to wait longer before I can get plants. I would want about 8, but I'd prefer them to be grown via cuttings considering pawpaws share a similar trait to bamboo-they spread from their roots and form groves. All pawpaw cultivars should be grown via cuttings to be true to type both in the short term and the long term. I look forward to their availability as soon as possible but please do not graft them, at least do both for people like me.

Thank you.

plant addict said...

Just saw this and wonder if anything ever came of this plant? I'm the propagator at a nursery in Connecticut and would be delighted to graft this for you. www.brokenarrownursery.com awheeler@brokenarrownursery.com