Friday, April 9, 2010

Tulips and Grape Hyacinths flowering in the Bulb Ribbon at the Capitol Columns

Here's the payoff for the work done January 20th and look, I told you the bulbs would be fine without any extraordinary treatment. Jack Eden, god rest his soul, used to have this complicated procedure to be followed if you failed to plant your bulbs by Thanksgiving. It involved trashcans in the garage, massive quantities of soil, lime, chemicals, geometrical layering, and a strictly detailed regimen of care. Do it my way, it's cheaper and easier. Just plant the bulbs.

Anyway, it looks nice doesn't it? It is our homage to Jacqueline van der Kloet.

2 comments:

deborah said...

Very pretty! Is this new beds, or is it left empty thru the rest of the seasons?

ChrisU said...

This is the ~circular bed between the Capitol Columns and the road. perennials will come up, are coming up now, and they will cover the yellowing bulb foliage. We have an Aster, forgive me I don't know which one, Amsonia hubrechtii, Little Bluestem, and I think one other. The Bluestem and Amsonia were there last year so I know them, the two new additions were just planted this week; I have yet to learn what they are.