Sunday, January 3, 2010

Hamelia patens, Firebush, backlit by afternoon sun lights up the small bed abutting the driveway


As much despair as I feel about the political/ecological/sociological situation in Florida, it cheers me to realize that a handful of state native plants have made it into the core of landscape standards. Firebush, Hamelia patens, is one; another is Coontie, Zamia pumila, a cool cycad not quite visible at the base of the Live oak in the top picture. I planted that Firebush in October 2007. It was a out a foot tall in a 6" pot. Untroubled by drought, it has grown steadily and flowered consistently. The fall/winter color is obviously great and the orange tubular flowers are present year-round when temperatures stay above 50F or so. Hummingbirds love it and so do I. 

This past August I found a pot of Dwarf firebush at a nursery, actually at Home Depot, and since it looked like a miniature version of the H. patens. I decided to give it a try. It doesn't have the great fall color of patens, but possibly it needs a more established root system. It has more flowers on it now than its larger sibling does; I wonder if that doesn't indicate a better adaptation to local climate in patens than macrantha which is native to warmer locations farther south. The fruits are clearly distinct. The top picture is macrantha, the bottom patens.

No comments: