Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Penthorum sedoides....This is a nice subtle addition to the palette of autumn colors

"Ditch Stonecrop" is not an especially pleasant name. The plant does love moisture, occasionally living as an emergent. It's native throughout the eastern and central United States disappearing westward only in the Tall-grass Prairie.The flowers are white and not so exciting, but the fruit....ah. This picture isn't quite right, but I'm not going to alter the colors. Its really a softish orange/peach

I'm not sure my judgement is to be trusted though, because, for the past few weeks, I've been admiring the wonderful reddish fruit on the non-native knotweed. Penthorum really is a beautiful little plant though, and it is a native. This one is growing on the left side of the main trail in Fern Valley just past the island.

1 comment:

How It Grows said...

An interesting plant! I've never seen it before.