Thursday, October 1, 2009

Chamerion stevenii....one of Stefan's plants from Azerbaijan

That's a beautiful flower and if you look closely you can see the slender elongated cylindrical seed capsule, that is apparently not a siliqua. If it were, we'd be looking at a member of the Mustard Family and this is Onagraceous. Or so they say. I'm no taxonomist; I would have looked in the Brassicaceae (the Mustard Family). But wait...look closely at that stigma.

Anyway, the plant itself is lovely; you can see the slender silver/gray leaves. It's about a foot in diameter and not that tall but the seed was only collected a year ago. Maybe it'll get bigger next year. I'll collect the seed so we can try again if it doesn't make it through this winter. I hear it's supposed to be one of the coldest in recent memory. I hope this guy makes it; it's a lovely little plant.

No comments: