Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Eastern Lubber grasshopper, Romalea microptera.....that's a big grasshopper!


And it's not allowed to eat the Simpson''s Stopper; actually it's sitting on Cuphea microphilla not on the Stopper per se. Though it may not be evident from the photograph this grasshopper is over 4" long. I see a few of them a year. In theory they prefer wetland plants and, get this!, Pokeweed! Doing research today I realized that the "evil crickets" (black with yellow stripes and much smaller) that I have seen in years past on the Meyer Lemon are actually the nymph form of this monster.

The good news is that here in Florida you're never more than a mile away from a pawn shop so I can pick up a used shotgun this morning and take care of the problem.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seems like a little overkill

Jeanette said...

I love your photos, Chris!!