Monday, May 18, 2009

Schisandra lancifolia: the buds open into wonderfully orange flowers

Nowadays orange is far more acceptable as a flower color than it was 20 years ago. Over the years, I have encountered many clients who wouldn't have orange in their garden. But not so much recently. And you know what? There's always been an exception and it's always been that, that, the Tawny Daylily, Hemerocallis fulva. Go figure! I like orange and I like pretty nearly every plant, but I don't have a lot of use for that Daylily. It is cool to encounter it in the wilderness marking the site of some long vanished homestead; shivers down your spine cool, but I don't think I've ever put one in a design. First of all their foliage is messy, unattractively yellowing prematurely. And the flower color...not so hot. I do have an oscillating clump (its gets to a certain size then I shrink it!) of the double form 'Kwanso' that is an heirloom plant from my maternal grandmother. That's a sentimental thing; the plant isn't especially nice.

No comments: